Amira’s practice centers on Intellectual Property (“IP”) and Technology.
Amira has significant experience in various aspects of both the contentious and non-contentious side of IP. On the contentious side of her IP practice, Amira has represented clients in opposition and invalidation proceedings before the Trade Marks Registry and other IP-related disputes before the High Court and the Court of Appeal. On the non-contentious side, she supervises local and overseas clients’ IP portfolios; advises clients on patentability of inventions, as well as drafting patent applications and prosecution of the same. Her practice also includes providing advice on IP commercialization, such as assignment/franchise agreements, IP due diligence, licensing and technology transfer matters. Apart from that, she continues to engage in general corporate advisory work (related to IP rights or otherwise) involving confidential information and trade secrets amongst others and several regulatory and technology-related issues. Some of the recent reported IP cases before the Singapore courts that Amira has led or been involved in to-date, include:
-  SGIPOS2 – Xiaomi Inc. v Michat Pte Limited
-  3 SLR 517 – Audience Motivation Company Asia Pte Ltd v AMC Live Group Pte Ltd (Court of Appeal)
-  3 SLR 321 – Audience Motivation Company Asia Pte Ltd v AMC Live Group Pte Ltd (High Court)
Amira is experienced in structuring and advising on various technology contracts including outsourcing agreements, SOWs, master service agreements, service level agreements, reseller agreements, regional network agreements, SaaS agreements, amongst others. Her Technology practice also includes data protection and cybersecurity advisory. Amira was previously on the Panel of Lawyers under the PDPA Legal Advice Scheme administered by the Law Society, which has since ended. She has advised various educational institutions (both public and private), associations, and other private entities on their obligations vis-à-vis the Singapore’s data protection regime as well as within the region, from time to time. She continues to advise private entities on identifying legal and regulatory risks and pre-emption by developing requisite risk mitigation strategies and breach response plans. Amira has also advised an MNC providing IT solutions to Singapore’s biggest telecommunications service provider on an investigation by the Personal Data Protection Commission on a breach of data protection obligations.
Amira also continues to advise various Statutory Boards and other foundations and organisations on a plethora of legal matters, ranging from collaboration and procurement documentation, to other contractual and regulatory issues.
Amira has been invited to give talks and to provide her viewpoints on several occasions on a range of matters including Intellectual Property, Data Privacy as well as Contract Law, as follows:-
- Facilitator for workshop entitled ‘3 Key Changes to the PDPA’ at the Privacy Awareness Week 2020 organised by the PDPC, 23 September 2020.
- Speaker at the UK High Commission on doing business in Singapore, IP and Cybersecurity laws in Singapore, during the Singapore International Cyber Week 2019.
- Lead Trainer and Panelist at ‘Introduction to Data Protection by Design (Workshop)” held by the Cybersecurity & Data Protection Committee, Law Society of Singapore during the Personal Data Protection Seminar 2019 organised by the PDPC.
- Panelist at the joint Legal Practice and Next-Generation Committee session entitled ” Generational Differences in the Legal Profession: How to Bridge the Gap?” at the Annual IPBA Conference 2019, April 2019.
- Interview featured on Singapore Tonight, Channel News Asia on “IPOS Fintech Fast Track Initiative; Faster Patent Grant for Fintech Firms”, 14 December 2018.
- Panelist in the Closing Panel for “Seminar on GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation): Q&A with Practitioners”, Law Society of Singapore held in October 2018.
- Emcee for the Cybersecurity Conference 2018 organised by the Law Society’s Cybersecurity and Data Protection Committee in July 2018.
- Speaker at “Legal Matters for Social Entreprises”, a seminar jointly organized by raiSE Singapore and the Law Society Pro Bono Services Office, held at the National Design Centre on 23 June 2018.
- Speaker in a webinar co-hosted by the EU-MCCI and the South-East Asia IPR SME Helpdesk entitled “Webinar on EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)” in June 2018.
- Panelist at the Next-Generation Committee session entitled “Data Privacy in Social Networks” at the Annual IPBA Conference 2018 in Manila, the Philippines.
- Panelist for “What are the must-knows before embarking on a buyer-freelancer partnership?” on 5 May 2017 at the Freelancer Trade Fair organised by the U Freelancers and Self-Employed Unit (UFSE) by the National Trade Union Congress (NTUC) and IoTalents.
- Speaker for Pro Bono Publico, a series of talks for the public organised by the Pro Bono Services Office, Law Society of Singapore, for the month of February 2017, on “Personal Privacy and Data Protection in Singapore”
Amira is proficient in English and Bahasa Melayu (spoken and written) and has intermediate-level fluency in French and Bahasa Indonesia (spoken and written).
She is also active in various outreach activities including serving as a member of Service Committee, AMKFSC Community Services Ltd., and being a volunteer lawyer at Community Legal Clinics as well as for CLAS matters.