This is the Personal Data Protection Policy of Gateway Law Corporation which we may update from time to time. You may visit our Website without having to provide any personal data.
How we handle your personal data
We may collect, use and/or disclose personal data from you for the purposes of providing legal services and/or in the ordinary course of our work. We may disclose such personal data to our affiliated entities, third party service providers and agents, other professional advisors and consultants with whom we are dealing on your behalf, any necessary governmental authorities and other third parties including the counsel for an opposing party. Where you provide us with any personal data of third parties, you confirm that you have obtained all necessary consents to do so, and that we may collect, use and disclose such personal data for the purposes set out above, in accordance with the Singapore Personal Data Protection Act 2012.
Where you have requested to be on our mailing list and/or consented to the same in order to receive our complimentary electronic publications (including bulletins, updates, alerts, announcements, invitations, greeting cards), we will use your personal data to send such publications to you.
Data collection and usage
We will collect the following personal data:
- Contact information: your name, designation, organization, telephone (including mobile number where provided) and email and postal address;
- Business information: data identifying you in relation to matters on which you instruct us or in which you are involved;
- Information from public sources: e.g. Linkedin and similar professional networks, directories or internet publications;
- Information in connection with investigations or proceedings: where necessary to conduct investigations or proceedings
- Subscriptions/preferences: when you subscribe to receive legal briefing, updates or newsletters as well as consent preferences to help us identify which materials you are interested in receiving;
- Events data: attendance at and provision of feedback forms in relation to our events;
- Supplier data: contact details and other information about you or your company or organisation where you provide services to Gateway Law Corporation;
- Social media: posts, likes, tweets and other interactions with our social media accounts;
- Technical information: when you access this website and our technology services being IP address, browser type and version (e.g. Safari, Internet Explorer, etc.), time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system you are using (e.g. MacOS, Windows XP, etc.), device type, hardware model, MAC address, unique identifiers and mobile network information;
- Online data: when you access this website and our technology services, information about your visit including URL clickstream to, through and from our website (including date and time), information about your network such as information about devices, nodes, configurations, connection speeds and network application performance; pages viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits and interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, mouse-overs) and whether you click on particular links or open our emails;
- Special categories of personal data: such as dietary, disability or similar requirements for events and meetings. If you do not provide this information, we may not be able to respond to your particular needs or preferences;
- Criminal record data: where permitted by national law and appropriate to do so, such as existence of prior criminal offences (or confirmation of clean criminal record)
The above data will be provided to us by you, your employer, the company or organisation who is our client or screening providers who assist us with our legal obligations to conduct under anti-money laundering, sanctions screening and regulatory checks.
Gateway Law Corporation does not collect personal data about your online activities across third party websites or online services.
Your communication with us
Gateway Law Corporation may also collect information that you choose to provide in communication with us. Please do not send us confidential information until we have confirmed in writing that we represent or act for you or your company or organisation.
How we use your personal data
We use your personal data for the following purposes:
- Service provision: providing legal advice and services;
- Business relationship: managing and administering our relationship with you, your company or organisation including keeping records about business contacts, services and payments so we can customise our offering for you, develop our relationship and target our promotional and marketing campaigns;
- Communication: sending emails, newsletters and other messages to keep you informed of legal developments, market insights and of our services;
- Events: conducting legal briefings, roundtables and other events;
- Client feedback: including events feedback and client listening exercises (answering concerns and issues which may arise);
- Client legal compliance: client due diligence under anti-money laundering, sanctions screening and other crime prevention and detection laws and regulatory obligations, which may involve automated screening checks to ensure that clients and contacts are genuine and to prevent crime or fraud and we may not be able to take instructions if you do not provide the information we need to carry out these checks;
- Website monitoring: to check that our website and other technology services are being used appropriately and optimally;
- Online security: protecting our information assets and technology platforms from unauthorised access or usage and to monitor for malware and other security threats;
- Regulatory: compliance with our legal and regulatory obligations as a law firm including auditing and reporting requirements;
- Managing suppliers: who deliver services to us;
- Legitimate interest: to pursue the legitimate business interests which include (but not limited to): 1) providing legal services; 2) managing our business and relationship with you or your company or organisation; 3) understanding and responding to inquiries and client feedback; 4) understanding how our clients use our services and websites; 5) identifying what our clients want and developing our relationship with you, your company or organisation; 6) improving our services and offerings; 7) receiving information from other Gateway Law Corporation affiliated legal practices for shared clients; 8) enforcing our terms of engagement and website and other terms and conditions; 9) ensuring our systems are secure; 10) managing our supply chain; 11) developing relationships with business partners; 12) ensuring debts are paid; 13) operating suppressors to exclude you from direct marketing if you unsubscribe; 14) sharing data in connection with acquisitions and transfers of our business.
Our reasons for using your personal data
We will process your personal data for a number of reasons:
- you have provided us consent: for e.g. where you share details for particular purposes;
- to comply with legal or regulatory obligations: for e.g. anti-money laundering and mandatory client screening checks or disclosure to law enforcement agencies;
- to deal with legal claims;
- for our legitimate business interests or those of a third party: provided this does not override any interests or rights that you have as an individual.
With whom we may share your personal data
We share your information with others as follows:
- Gateway Law Corporation affiliated firms: including their management, lawyers, staff and contractors in order to provide legal services;
- Suppliers: who support our business including communication and IT suppliers, outsourced business support, marketing and advertising agencies, etc. Our suppliers have to meet minimum standards as to data protection in accordance with Singapore’s Personal Data Protection Act 2012 and they will only be provided data in line with their function;
- Shared services centre: operated by Gateway Law Corporation or third parties including for client on-boarding, IT services, marketing, risk management and office support services;
- Other law firms: including affiliated firms, other local law firms, advocates and solicitors, expert witnesses and arbitrators/mediators;
- Law enforcement bodies and regulators: or other competent authorities in accordance with legal requirements or good practice;
- Appropriate parties in the event of emergencies: in particular to protect the health and safety of our clients, staff and organisations;
- Your company or organisation: in relation to us providing legal services;
- Screening service providers: so that we can comply with legal obligations in relation to the prevention or protection of crime, anti-money laundering, sanctions screening and other required checks;
- Advertising networks and analytics service providers: to support and display ads on our website, apps or other social media accounts;
- Third parties: in the context of the acquisition or transfer of any part of our business or in connection with the business reorganisation.
We will hold your personal data securely in line with physical, technical and administrative security measures. However, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we will take reasonable measures to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your information transmitted and any transmission is at your own risk.
Transfer of personal data out of Singapore
We may transfer your personal data out of Singapore jurisdiction where necessary (e.g. where an overseas third-party vendor is engaged to process personal data). We will take steps to protect your information in line with Singapore’s Personal Data Protection Act 2012.
How long do we keep your personal data
We generally keep your information as needed to provide our legal services and to deal with claims. This will depend on a number of factors such as whether you or your company or organisation are an existing client or have interacted with recent client mailings or attended recent events. We will retain your information as necessary to comply with legal or business requirements.
Links to third party websites
Our website, newsletters, email updates and other communications may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of others. The personal data that you provide through these websites is not subject to this data protection policy and the treatment of your personal data by such websites is not our responsibility.
If you follow a link to any other websites, please note that these websites have their own data protection notices which will set out how your information is collected and processed when visiting those websites.
Access and correction of personal data
If you wish to access or correct your personal data that is held by us, or enquire about the ways in which your personal data may have been used or disclosed by us, please contact our Data Protection Officer at: firstname.lastname@example.org. To allow us to process your request efficiently, please provide the following information:
- Your name, contact number and email address;
- Details of the personal data that you would like to access or correct;
- Relevant time frames and dates, where applicable; and
- Any other information that may enable us to locate your data and process your request.
Other enquiries or feedback about your personal data
If you wish to withdraw your consent to the use or disclosure of your personal data by us, or have any other enquiries, feedback or complaints about our handling of your personal data, please contact our Data Protection Officer at:
39 Robinson Road,
# 20 – 03 Robinson Point,
Tel: (65) 6221 6360
(Alternative mailing address: P.O. Box 25, Robinson Road Post Office, Postal Code 900025)
Please provide your name, contact number and email address, and any relevant details pertaining to your request, enquiry, feedback or complaint.
If you are currently on our mailing list and receive updates, newsletters, communications, greeting cards or other materials from us which you do not wish to receive, please email us at: email@example.com with the subject-matter “unsubscribe”.